Re: replacing X Window System !

From: shogunx
Date: Sat May 20 2006 - 03:22:17 EST

On Sat, 20 May 2006, Bart Samwel wrote:

> David Lang wrote:
> > On Sat, 20 May 2006, "Döhr, Markus ICC-H" wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 02:57:55 +0200
> >> From: "\"Döhr, Markus ICC-H\"" <Markus.Doehr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >> Did you actually do that? Starting Firefox over a 6 Mbit VPN takes
> >> about 3
> >> minutes on a FAST machine. That´s not acceptable - our users want
> >> (almost)
> >> immediate response to an application, to clicking and waiting 10 seconds
> >> until the app is doing something.
> >
> > this is due to the latency, not the speed (X by default requires many
> > round-trips to startup). There is an extention that greatly reduces the
> > number of round-trips nessasary, I'm willing to bet this will make a
> > huge difference for your startup. Unfortunantly I don't remember what
> > this is.
>
> I think it's called "lbxproxy".

Applications that would like to take advantage of the Low Bandwidth
extension
to X (LBX) must make their connections to an lbxproxy. These
applications
need know nothing about LBX, they simply connect to the lbxproxy as if
were a
regular X server. The lbxproxy accepts client connections, multiplexes
them
over a single connection to the X server, and performs various
optimizations
on the X protocol to make it faster over low bandwidth and/or high
latency
connections.

> Cheers,
> Bart