Re: cannot load *any* modules with 2.4 kernel

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sat May 20 2006 - 12:26:51 EST

Hi,

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 12:10:18PM -0400, George Nychis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I boot two kernels, a 2.6.9 kernel and just recently built a 2.4.32 kernel
>
> In the 2.4.32 kernel I have =y for:
> CONFIG_MODULES
> CONFIG_MODVERSIONS
> CONFIG_KMOD
>
> I then build my kernel, with some modules, install the modules, and boot
> my 2.4.32 kernel successfully
>
> when i do lsmod, it is completely empty, no modules are loaded. This
> only happens for my 2.4.32 kernel though, modules load fine in 2.6.9

What's your modutils version ? -> lsmod -V
You must use modutils and not modules-utils under 2.4, and I suspect
that if you jumped back from 2.6 to 2.4, you might not have the right
package. Note that modules-utils contains a wrapper to call the right
modutils when you are running 2.4, so you should really do lsmod -V
when running 2.4.

> If i try to manually insert with insmod or modprobe, i get unresolved
> external symbols for things that I am sure should be resolved... for
> example, i get unresolved external symbol for printk
>
> I'll give some other common unresolved smybols and maybe someone can
> point me in the right direction of what else i need to specify to you
> guys so that you can help me out further.
>
> prinkt
> add_timer
> dev_mc_add
> CardServices