gdth SCSI driver(?) fails with more than 4GB of memory

From: Andreas Barth
Date: Mon Jul 17 2006 - 07:00:20 EST

[please Cc me, I'm currently not subscribed.]

Hi,

I have noticed that one of my boxes stopped to boot correctly after
adding more memory (in total 6 GB) and loading an adjusted kernel for
that. After some testing around, we noticed that it is enough for the
kernel to boot correctly if we limit the kernel to use 4GB of memory.

If the kernel has 6GB, I directly get error messages like:
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: got wrong page
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: got wrong page

The disk array controller is of type GDT8114RZ and has the most current
firmware version. The box has 4 Xeon CPUs, and physical 6 GB of memory.
The /-device is on the controller in question.

The full log (for 4 and for 6 GB) is put up on
http://neualius.turmzimmer.net/~aba/6GB

Any hints for me how I can use the full 6 GB of memory (and/or what I
should try out to find the bug)?

Cheers,
Andi
--