Re: [OT] Vacation message heckling (Was: Re: Richard Dent - Annual Leave)

From: Erik Mouw
Date: Wed Jul 19 2006 - 05:12:59 EST

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 12:04:26AM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> The following note spans every "welcome" mail for some lists I run...
>
> "Please make sure, should you be away, that *NO* auto-response messages
> (like "I'm out of office until ...") appear on the list. Failure to do
> so will get you removed from the mailing list."

Same on the linux-arm-* mailing lists, see
http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/mailinglists/etiquette.php#e11 .

Silly disclaimers always claim that the email shouldn't be
redistributed and that it is only for the "intended recipient". Because
the lists are publically archived beyond our control, messages are
redistributed. And with mailing lists, the "intended recipient" is very
vague: it apparently is "linux-arm-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" cause
that's what the "To:" header says, but OTOH it turns up in *my*
mailbox.

I usually protect people with such silly disclaimers against their own
company policy by switching their list subscription to "moderated":
they can still receive all messages from the list, but every message
they send must be OK'ed by the list admins. That turns out to work very
well: either they remove the disclaimer, or they use a webmail account
instead.

BTW: as an interesting side note: silly disclaimers are usually added
by top posting people. How are they ever to notice the disclaimer with
such a ridiculous reply style?

Erik
[linux-arm-*-owner #2]

--