Re: workqueue deadlock

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Dec 10 2006 - 06:51:33 EST

* Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > preempt_disable() is the preferred way of holding off cpu hotplug.
> >
> > well, preempt_disable() is the scheduler's internal mechanism to keep
> > tasks from being preempted. It is fast but it also has non-nice
> > side-effect:
> >
> > 1) nothing tells us what the connection between preempt-disable and data
> > structure is. If we let preempt_disable() spread then we'll end up
> > with a situation like the BKL: all preempt_disable() sections become
> > one big blob of code with hard-to-define specifications, and if we
> > take out code from that blob stuff mysteriously breaks.
>
> Well we can add some suitably-named wrapper around preempt_disable()
> to make it obvious why we're calling it. But I haven't noticed any
> such problem with existing usages.

ok, as long as there's a separate API for it (which just maps to
disable_preempt(), or whatever), i'm fine with it. The complications
with preempt_disable()/preempt_enable() and local_irq_disable()/enable()
come when someone tries to implement something like a fully preemptible
kernel :-)

it was quite some work to sort the irqs on/off + per-cpu assumptions out
in the slab allocator and in the page allocator:

$ diffstat patches/rt-slab.patch
mm/slab.c | 460 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------------------

$ diffstat patches/rt-page_alloc.patch
mm/page_alloc.c | 125 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------------

> > void cpu_hotplug_lock(void)
> > {
> > int cpu = raw_smp_processor_id();
> > /*
> > * Interrupts/softirqs are hotplug-safe:
> > */
> > if (in_interrupt())
> > return;
> > if (current->hotplug_depth++)
> > return;
> > current->hotplug_lock = &per_cpu(hotplug_lock, cpu);
> > mutex_lock(current->hotplug_lock);
> > }
>
> That's functionally equivalent to what we have now, and it isn't
> working too well.

hm, i thought the main reason of not using cpu_hotplug_lock() in a
widespread manner was not related to its functionality but to its
scalability - but i could be wrong. The one above is scalable and we
could use it as /the/ method to control CPU hotplug. All the flux i
remember related to cpu_hotplug_lock() use from the fork path and from
other scheduler hotpaths related to its scalability bottleneck, not to
its locking efficiency.

Ingo