Re: [KORG] Re: kernel.org lies about latest -mm kernel

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 14:56:37 EST

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 11:21:15 -0800 J.H. wrote:

> It's an issue of load, and both machines are running 'hot' so to speak.
> When the loads on the machines climbs our update rsyncs take longer to
> complete (considering that our loads are completely based on I/O this
> isn't surprising). More or less nothing has changed since:
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/14/347 with the exception that git & gitweb
> are no longer the concern we have (the caching layer I put into
> kernel.org seems to be taking care of the worst problems we were seeing
> and I have a couple more to put up this weekend), right now it's getting
> loads between the two machines load evened out and lowering the number
> of allowed rsyncs on each machine to better bound the load problem.

Hi,

I'm sure that all of this ext3fs etc. discussion is good,
but let me clarify: I would be much happier if the kernel.org
main page and the finger_banner info were updated at the same
time that new tarballs were put onto kernel.org.

Now someone may say that this is still the rsync/load problem,
but from a customer perspective, it's bad.

> On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 10:33 -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> > > The script that deals with the uploads also deals with the packaging -
> > > so yes the problem is related.
> >
> > and with the finger_banner and version info on www.kernel.org page?
> >
> > They currently say:
> >
> > The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is: 2.6.19.1
> > The latest prepatch for the stable Linux kernel tree is: 2.6.20-rc3
> > The latest snapshot for the stable Linux kernel tree is: 2.6.20-rc3-git4
> > The latest 2.4 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.4.34
> > The latest 2.2 version of the Linux kernel is: 2.2.26
> > The latest prepatch for the 2.2 Linux kernel tree is: 2.2.27-rc2
> > The latest -mm patch to the stable Linux kernels is: 2.6.20-rc2-mm1
> >

> > but there are 2.6.20-rc3-git[567] and 2.6.20-rc3-mm1 out there,
> > so when is the finger version info updated?

---
~Randy