Re: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] Re: [Ksummit-2006-discuss] 2007 Linux Kernel Summit

From: Gerrit Huizenga
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 18:53:14 EST

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:30:43 PST, "H. Peter Anvin" wrote:
> Gerrit Huizenga wrote:
> > Don't confused KS with a conference;
> > it is a workshop for a very, very large, very very active project.
>
> ... and *growing*, which is the real issue I think.
>
> Something that might make sense for KS is to have multiple sessions
> (perhaps replacing some or all of the "mini-summits" that have cropped
> up) combined with some bigger, overall sessions. At least that way
> there would be more cross-pollination between the various groups than if
> we eventually end up meeting everywhere.
>
> That's of course only practical if KS is separated from any other
> conference (like OLS.)

Are you thinking something like "core VM/scheduler/locking/etc." as one set of
not-quite-so-mini-summit, and a "block IO/storage drivers/filesystems" as another,
"arch maintainers" as another, and "all the nutty drivers and their writers" as
perhaps a fourth? In other words, some semi-logical grouping of issues
each as more free floating meetings? Or did I miss your suggestion?

Easy on the judgement on practicality, btw. For instance, FAST is going
to try to do some part of one of these - possibly larger than a networking
mini-summit in scope but otherwise with similar goals.

I think there are some options to consider for hosting some targetted
working meetings in some of these areas, including the examples already
given for some mini-summits. Some sponsors might help set up mini-summits
(and some have in the psat), including considering the Linux Foundation as
they do with the Desktop Architects Meeting (my favorite DAM meeting!).

The challenge is to figure out what people want to have happen, the see if
we can make it happen.

gerrit