Re: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 12:09:34 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Me, I'd like to say I want "default firewall built in", and not have
> to see *any* of the crap. And that's exactly why "select" is a good
> thing.

yeah. For a long time i wanted to do something like that for all the
kernel debugging options, to by default only offer a simple menu of:

( ) Debug Disabled
(*) Transparent Low-Overhead Debugging
( ) Transparent Medium-Overhead Debugging
( ) Transparent High-Overhead Debugging
( ) Custom Debugging

so say softlockup-detect or spinlock-sleep checks would be enabled by
Low-Overhead Debugging, but slab-debug or lockdep would only be enabled
by the High-Overhead Debugging option.

and all the zillions of debug options would only show up if "Custom
Debugging" is selected. Plus this would have the advantage that if we
add a new debug option, and the tester already has a .config with say
"Transparent Low-Overhead Debugging" enabled - Kconfig would pick the
right value for that new debug option. This would remove the need and
desire to 'default y' certain debugging features to get them tested ...

Ingo