Re: 2.6.20 PCI Cannot allocate resource region 2

From: Grant Grundler
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 03:26:22 EST

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 09:20:15AM +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:
> >BIST is required to complete in 2 seconds. Either with success or failure.
> >I expect BIOS to have complained before launching grub/lilo.
> BIST is supposed to terminate before, say the OS kernel is loaded?

Yes - that's what I was trying to imply above.

> or does it mean that it can keep running still ?

Don't know. Either it's still running (for much longer that 2 seconds),
linux is causing it run _again_, or linux is has terribly confused the
device somehow. More on this in an email I'm still working on...will
send that out in a bit.

> >> Region 0: Memory at f7ee0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
> >[size=4K]
> >> Region 2: Memory at e9b00000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [disabled]
> >[size=4K]
> >> Region 3: Memory at <unassigned> (32-bit, prefetchable) [disabled]
> >> Region 4: Memory at <ignored> (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
> >> Region 5: Memory at <invalid-64bit-slot> (64-bit,
> >non-prefetchable) [disabled]
> >
> >This is obviously garbage. 64-bit registers can only be represented with
> >two consecutive "BAR" and region 5 is the last one.
> >There is no way this can be a 64-bit BAR.
> >Generally, 64-bit BARs start on an "even" numbered BAR (but I've forgotten
> >again if that's just convention or a requirement)
> >

> was just wondering how it could be a 64 bit device.

64-bit BAR is seperate from 64-bit Device (data path).

PCI has three different 32 vs 64-bit areas:
o BARs
o DMA
o HW/data path width.

"32-bit device" generally only refers to the latter.
The three attributes are generally all "32-bit" for "32-bit device".

That's less likely to be true for "64-bit devices". Several "64-bit
devices" can only DMA to 32-bit host memory and at least a few only
support 32-bit BARs (even if the device claims it has a 64-bit BAR).

hth,
grant