Re: Kernel Development & Objective-C

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Dec 03 2007 - 17:01:52 EST

> You could write an equally effcient kernel in languages like C++,
> using C++ abstractions as a high level organization, where

It's very very hard to generate good C code because of the numerous ways
objects get temporarily created, and the week aliasing rules (as with C).

There are reasons that Fortran lives on (and no I'm not suggesting one
should rewrite the kernel in Fortran ;)) and the fact its not really got
pointer aliasing or "address of" operators and all the resulting
optimsation problems is one of the big ones.

Alan