Re: [Scst-devel] Integration of SCST in the mainstream Linux kernel

From: Vladislav Bolkhovitin
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 07:01:21 EST

Bart Van Assche wrote:
On Jan 31, 2008 5:25 PM, Joe Landman <landman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:

Actually, I don't know what kind of conclusions it is possible to make
from disktest's results (maybe only how throughput gets bigger or slower
with increasing number of threads?), it's a good stress test tool, but
not more.

Unfortunately, I agree. Bonnie++, dd tests, and a few others seem to
bear far closer to "real world" tests than disktest and iozone, the
latter of which does more to test the speed of RAM cache and system call
performance than actual IO.

I have ran some tests with Bonnie++, but found out that on a fast
network like IB the filesystem used for the test has a really big
impact on the test results.

If anyone has a suggestion for a better test than dd to compare the
performance of SCSI storage protocols, please let it know.

I would suggest you to try something from real life, like:

- Copying large file tree over a single or multiple IB links

- Measure of some DB engine's TPC

- etc.

Bart Van Assche.