Re: How does ext2 implement sparse files?

From: Lars Noschinski
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 07:02:25 EST

[Sorry for using an invalid mail address in my previous post]

* Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-02-01 10:28]:
Lars Noschinski <lklml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

For an university project, we had to write a toy filesystem (ext2-like),
for which I would like to implement sparse file support. For this, I
digged through the ext2 source code; but I could not find the point,
where ext2 detects holes.

As far as I can see from fs/buffer.c, an hole is a buffer_head which is
not mapped, but uptodate. But I cannot find a relevant source line,
where ext2 makes usage of this information.

It does not explicitely detect holes; holey data is just never written
so no space for it is allocated.

Thanks for the answers. No that I know that, it is kind of obvious. I
was irritated yesterday by a bug a bug in our implementation (number of
used blocks is reported as filesize/blocksize); so I was expecting the
VFS to issue write requests for empty pages (which would be sillly, I
know).

Thanks,
Lars.