Re: PCIE ASPM support hangs my laptop pretty often

From: Kok, Auke
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 15:59:53 EST

Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:46:23AM -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 18:40:04 +0100
>> ???????????? ?????????????????????? <penguinista@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I've patched my kernel with the PCIe ASPM and after setting
>>> echo powersave > /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy
>>>
>>> I started to experience random hangs of my laptop.
>>> Hardware info:
>>> Thinkpad x60s 1704-5UG
>> the x60's chipset doesn't support ASPM properly afaik... bad idea.
>
> Well, the code shouldn't then cause a crash of the machine :)

The user enabled it specifically (where it is disabled by default)

ASPM has been crashing e1000(e), which is why I've recently merged a patch to
disable L1 ASPM for the onboard 82573 nic on those platforms.

this new infrastructure should work in the default configuration - enabling ASPM
where this system leaves it disabled is expected to give problems unless you know
what you are doing.

Auke