Re: PCIE ASPM support hangs my laptop pretty often

From: ÐÐÐÑÐÐ ÐÐÐÑÐÐÐÐÑÐÐ
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 19:06:00 EST

> >> the x60's chipset doesn't support ASPM properly afaik... bad idea.
> >
> > Well, the code shouldn't then cause a crash of the machine :)
>
> The user enabled it specifically (where it is disabled by default)
>
> ASPM has been crashing e1000(e), which is why I've recently merged a patch
> to disable L1 ASPM for the onboard 82573 nic on those platforms.
>
> this new infrastructure should work in the default configuration - enabling
> ASPM where this system leaves it disabled is expected to give problems
> unless you know what you are doing.

In my defense, the patch documentation didn't say it doesn't work with my
hardware, nor that it hangs the chipset :) and the promised 1.3w surelly
looked nice.

So, are there any benefits of ASPM if I have it in the kernel but it's set to
default? I got the impression that "default" means not much power savings?

--
Damjan Georgievski
Free Software Macedonia