Re: [GIT PULL] LED updates

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 16:40:12 EST

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008, Richard Purdie wrote:
> Márton Németh:
> leds: Add support for hardware accelerated LED flashing
> leds: hw acceleration for Clevo mail LED driver

This one has a loose end: when you call brightness_set on a led with
hardware flash acceleration, you will leave the trigger armed, BUT the led
won't blink anymore. That's just wrong.

Either we should always remove *any* (hardware accelerated or not!) active
trigger when a write to brightness_set is done, or the stuff about "calling
brightness_set will disable the hardware accelerated blink" has to go.

I personally prefer that we would always remove any active trigger if
brightness_set is to be called. IMHO, it is neater, and it is also the
least-surprise-behaviour from an user perspective with the LED_OFF:LED_FULL
triggers we have right now.

Which one will be? If it is "remove any active trigger", I'd not mind
writing the patch.

> Richard Purdie:
> leds: Standardise LED naming scheme

This one causes trouble (at least on 2.6.23 -- I backported the patch) due
to the 20-byte length limit on sysfs names. I had to use "tp::<somecrap>"
instead of "thinkpad::<somecrap>" to name LEDs, and still had to reduce
ultrabase_battery to ultrabase_batt :-)

Anyway, IMHO, the LED function should come first, and we should not even
need the led driver name anywhere. In case of clashes in the class sysfs
dir, just tack a .# to the end or somesuch. The device the LED is tied to
already differentiates them. That would save a lot of chars for something
much more useful (the function).

Henrique Holschuh