Re: [malware-list] [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to alinuxinterfaceforonaccess scanning

From: david
Date: Sun Aug 17 2008 - 18:30:44 EST

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008, Pavel Machek wrote:

you are arguing with the wrong people here. we are not trying to define
the future of anti-virus technologies, we are trying to figure out how to
provide the hooks so that people and companies can go off and do the
research and experimentation and try different approaches.

Given recent demonstrations that show how easy it apparently is to bypass
blacklist base approaches, providing hooks to allow these blacklist
approaches may I feel be rather futile. Focusing only on hooks for white
list approaches in combination with hooks for least authority approaches
like the powerbox would IMHO seem like a much more reasonable approach
given the current state of things and knowledge concerning the blacklist
technologies. Explicitly adding support for technology that is quickly
becoming obsolete would seem like a waste of time and resources.

we are not providing hooks for blacklists or whitelists, we are providing
hooks for scanning. it's up to the software that doesn the scanning to
implement the blacklist or whitelist.

Actually, I don't think so.

If we wanted to whitelist permitted binaries, approach would be
something like "lets sign them"... and it seems IBM is working on
something like that with TPM infrastructure.

the structure I proposed would support this as well.

your 'scanner' program would do the signature and store it somewhere and mark the file as being scanned.

on access the checking software would see that you have marked it as being scanned and can avoid the overhead of reading the entire file to check it's signature (or you can configure it to do the full check again)

if the file gets written to the tag would get cleared and the file would not be used without being blessed by your scanner again (and your scanner my bless it if what happened was an OS update where the new file matches a known signature)

not quite as straightforward as you were probably thinking (you were probably thinking somthing like 'store the signature and have the kernel check it each time the file is opened'), but this would have the option of being faster by skipping the signature check if the file was tagged as already being checked.

David Lang