Re: [malware-list] scanner interface proposal was: [TALPA] Intro toa linux interface for on access scanning (fwd)

From: david
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 07:45:47 EST

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, tvrtko.ursulin@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

David Lang wrote on 18/08/2008 02:25:44:

what is not covered by this design that is covered by the threat model
being
proposed?

what did I over complicate in this design? or is it the minimum feature
set
needed?

are any of the features I list impossible to implement?

One more thing - this proposal does not work where there are no extended
attributes (whether at all or they are disabled at mount time). I think
that is a serious flaw or at least disadvantage compared to the posted
implementation.

good point. I should have listed that.

I don't see it as a serious flaw, people who care about this feature can just pick an appropriate filesystem to use.

but if extended attributes are not found a strict implementation could fall back to scanning on every file access (the extended attributes are being used to cache the results of the scans)

David Lang