Re: Fwd: PCF8583 not detected on RiscPC

From: Alessandro Zummo
Date: Sun Feb 22 2009 - 04:42:21 EST

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 08:28:29 +0000
Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, really, I'm not listening to NACKs from anyone for this. The only
> thing I'll listen to is something _constructive_ to make it work again.
> I'm sure Andrew Morton will back me up on this.

You never listened to anyone, as far as I can remember. The constructive
part was where I said I'd be happy to give help.

> Now, we can either totally reorganize i2c-acorn, but that won't be
> acceptable for 2.6.29-rc.

i2c-acorn is just fine as is, while you might want to change
it to a platform driver at a later time.

> The problem is that this *is* a regression, and therefore must be fixed
> in 2.6.29-rc. As I see it, the only sane way to do that is to revert
> the conversion until a proper fix can be done.
>
> So, please provide constructive suggestions on how to add boardinfo to
> this in a sane way, or we revert PCF8583 back to something which works.

That's very simple, even if acorn is a bit unstructured. You just
need to choice a place under arch/arm that you like
(arch/arm/plat-acorn/ ? ) and place a bit of code called
by an appropriate initcall.

There you write something like that, changing
the values to match your rtc name and i2c address:

static struct i2c_board_info __initdata nslu2_i2c_board_info [] = {
{
I2C_BOARD_INFO("x1205", 0x6f),
},
};

i2c_register_board_info(0, nslu2_i2c_board_info,
ARRAY_SIZE(nslu2_i2c_board_info));

Unless I missed something that should be all you need.

--

Best regards,

Alessandro Zummo,
Tower Technologies - Torino, Italy