Re: [RFC] new -stable tag variant, Git workflow question

From: Junio C Hamano
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 16:11:51 EST

Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> writes:

> Yeah. This new tagging scheme doesnt really allow anything 'new' per se
> - it just helps the existing practice some more. All these commits were
> -stable candidates anyway, in exactly the same order - the only
> difference the new tagging scheme adds here is a more organized,
> in-upsream-Git way of communicating it to you.

I am just a bystander, but if it were truly in-upstream-git way, wouldn't
you be forking a branch from the tagged target release (the latest of
2.6.32.X), and queuing only the changes meant for -stable to it, and
giving the name of the branch to git people and sending out patches from
that branch for e-mailed review and application?

There won't be any special tagging required, only a dedicated branch.

Or am I missing something?