Driver for a SmartCard interface on a SoC

From: Juergen Beisert
Date: Fri May 07 2010 - 09:19:06 EST

Hi,

most SmartCard readers are external devices, connected via USB or serial
lines. So, they do not need special in-kernel drivers.

My SmartCard interface is part of a SoC (i.MX25 CPU). So, I need an in-kernel
driver. Where would be the best place in the kernel tree, to add a driver for
this kind of device? Maybe "drivers/char"?
To exchange data with the plugged in SmartCard, only a couple of IOCTLs are
required (detecting if a card is plugged in, socket power on/off, send reset
to the card, configuring the communication parameters). Data exchange with
the SmartCard can be done with simple read/write.

Any idea?

Regards,
Juergen
--
Pengutronix e.K. | Juergen Beisert |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry | Phone: +49-8766-939 228 |