Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread, take three

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Aug 13 2010 - 06:39:18 EST

> Why do people care that "android is forking the kernel"?

A lot of us don't. That's what the GPL is about. It's a big pain if you
start splitting it off into two entire things long term - because
your maintenance grows harder exponentially but parallel forks are common
- SuSE and RHEL Enterprise type editions are forks for example.

As far as I can tell it all comes from one or two people with a big PR
presence and almost no code in the kernel saying silly things years ago
which the IT press see as a good way to create a 'we need a column, bash
someone' story.

"What the junk press think" is a common but broken way to run national
policy in some countries, and its just as broken for the kernel.

Alan