Re: mm: convert vma->vm_flags to 64bit

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Wed Apr 13 2011 - 04:57:34 EST

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 08:29 +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> > Right, it shouldn't. My original patch did that to avoid thinking
> about
> > archs that manipulated it from asm such as ARM but that wasn't the
> right
> > thing to do. But that doesn't invalidate having a type.
>
> No, we don't manipulate it. We only test for VM_EXEC in it in asm.

Yeah whatever, you did something that I didn't spare the brain cell to
try to figure out back then :-) Maybe I should have ... I was also
worried about the embedded folks having a go at me for "bloat they don't
need". But in the end it was wrong, it should always be 64-bit.

But regardless, I still think it should be a specific type. "unsigned
long long" really sucks.

Cheers,
Ben.