Re: [GIT PULL] perf changes for v3.8

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Dec 13 2012 - 12:03:01 EST

Btw, I do *not* think that you should necessariyl default to 'H' for
host-only mode.

The way it should work is that ":pp", ":ppH" and ":ppV" are all different.

- "cycles:ppH" means: I want precise cycles only for the host case

- "cycles:ppV" means: I want precise cycles, and I want the VM too

This would result in EOPNOTSUPP for the case we know is buggy (but
presumably work on some other CPUs that don't have the problem)

- "cycles:pp" is "I want precise cycles, and I don't care about virtualization"

This would do whatever works. So it would basically become
host-only, but if you don't want precise cycles (so no ":pp") then
whatever our old behavior was (presumably "profile the virtual machine
too") would be what happens.

That sounds like (a) the interface that people want and (b) entirely
backwards-compatible for all cases that can matter (where "oops, I
crashed the VM" case does not matter).

Linus