Re: [GIT PULL] Load keys from signed PE binaries

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Mon Feb 25 2013 - 23:59:24 EST

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 08:43:59PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > If the user has explicitly enrolled a hash then they're stepping outside
> > the trust model.
>
> This is the kind of totally bogus crap that no sane person should ever
> spout. Stop it.
>
> If the user has explicitly enrolled a hash, then that should be the
> *primary* trust model, dammit. That should be very much what you
> should care about first and foremost, and that should be your goal in
> life. That's when the user says "I'm in control of my own machine, and
> I want to trust *this*".

The user has stepped outside the original trust model ("I trust anything
signed by Microsoft and only things signed by Microsoft") and into a new
one ("I trust things that I say I trust"). That's a great thing for a
user to do, but it also means that once the user's done it we don't need
to give a fuck about what Microsoft think. They're irrelevant once the
user's made that choice.

> It's not about "stepping outside of the trust model". Quite the
> reverse. It's about actually being *part* of the trust model, and
> taking control of your own machine. It's the *good* scenario. It's
> what you should encourage users to do.

I wholeheartedly agree.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx