Re: [GIT PULL] ext4 updates for 3.9

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Wed Feb 27 2013 - 14:04:48 EST

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 01:57:55PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> Building now. Can you confirm that nothing on-disk should be awry ?
> Or will I need a new fsck to detect what happened ?

Well, it's possible that a read from data file which had blocks
located above 512GB might have gotten bogus information, or a block
allocated above 512GB might result in a write to the wrong place on
disk.

So if you are very cautious, running fsck just to make sure things are
OK is not a bad idea. But it's likely that the directory sanity
checks would have caught things quickly, or trying run an executable
would have caused a seg fault quickly enough. If your system crashed
very quickly during the boot process, you'll probably be OK.

- Ted