Re: [git pull] drm merge for 3.9-rc1

From: Josh Boyer
Date: Wed Feb 27 2013 - 19:01:44 EST

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Alex Deucher (29):
>>> drm/radeon: halt engines before disabling MC (6xx/7xx)
>>> drm/radeon: halt engines before disabling MC (evergreen)
>>> drm/radeon: halt engines before disabling MC (cayman/TN)
>>> drm/radeon: halt engines before disabling MC (si)
>>> drm/radeon: use the reset mask to determine if rings are hung
>>
>> Something in this series of commits is causing the GPU to hang on reboot
>> on my Dell XPS 8300 machine. That has a:
>>
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee
>> ATI Caicos [Radeon HD 6450]
>>
>> card in it. After reboots, I get a screen that looks like this:
>>
>> http://t.co/tPnT6xQZUK
>>
>> I can hit it fairly consistently after a few reboots, so I tried doing a
>> git bisect on the radeon driver and it came down to:
>>
>> ca57802e521de54341efc8a56f70571f79ffac72 is the first bad commit
>
> So I don't think that's actually the cause of the problem. Or at least
> not that alone. I reverted it on top of Linus' latest tree and I still
> get the lockups.

Actually, git bisect does seem to have gotten it correct. Once I
actually tested the revert of just that on top of Linus' tree (commit
d895cb1af1), things seem to be working much better. I've rebooted a
dozen times without a lockup. The most I've seen it take on a kernel
with that commit included is 3 reboots, so that's definitely at least an
improvement.

Now that I seem to have narrowed down which commit is broken, I'd be
happy to test fixes, etc. Sorry for the noise from earlier today.

josh