Re: resume fails to light display on Macbook Pro Retina on 3.8-rc1

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Feb 27 2013 - 19:02:42 EST

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:27:30PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> On 26 February 2013 18:11, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I've applied the radeon patches tagged for -stable and tested that on
> >> 3.8.0, but that doesn't solve the resume problem. Any ideas of anything
> >> else I can do to test this? Doing a "backwards" git-bisect is a pain,
> >> but I guess I can do that to try to track down what patch fixed this, if
> >> that's the only idea people have...
> >>

> > If it helps, I have a similar resume problem here.
> > 3.7.8 good
> > 3.8.0 bad
> >
> > Laptop with no nvidia, no amd graphics, just Intel Graphics 4000, 3rd
> > Gen I5 CPU.
>
> Problem: "Backlight not coming on after resume."
> git finally bisected for my Samsung Serial 7 Laptop.
> Bisecting: 0 revisions left to test after this (roughly 0 steps)
> [cf0a6584aa6d382f802f2c3cacac23ccbccde0cd] drm/i915: write backlight
> harder <- This is the problem commit. Seems that fixing some
> machines breaks others, based on the existing comments on that patch.

Hm, so, 3.8.0 works for you, but 3.8.1-rc1 doesn't? Or are you saying
Linus's tree doesn't work for you?

As you have a different issue here than the nvidia hardware I was
dealing with, you might want to try to start over with a new thread and
the needed info, and the needed people on it (i.e. the i915
maintainers and mailing list.)

thanks,

greg k-h