Re: [PROBLEM] perf requires python-devel to compile

From: David Ahern
Date: Tue Apr 16 2013 - 16:32:21 EST

On 4/16/13 10:08 AM, Michael Witten wrote:
You should probably disable python support more directly:

make NO_LIBPYTHON=1

sure, but I should not have to do anything. The intent of the existing auto-probing code is to figure out what is installed and build a binary with those capabilities. In this case not having python installed causes it to blow up.

That being said, this issue was introduced with the following commit:

31160d7feab786c991780d7f0ce2755a469e0e5e

namely due to:

... Also fix an issue where _get_attempt was called with only
one argument. This prevented the error message from printing
the name of the variable that can be used to fix the problem.

specifically:

-$(if $($(1)),$(call _ge_attempt,$($(1)),$(1)),$(call _ge_attempt,$(2)))
+$(if $($(1)),$(call _ge_attempt,$($(1)),$(1)),$(call _ge_attempt,$(2),$(1)))

The "missing" argument was in fact missing on purpose; it's a signal
that the error message should be skipped, because the failure was due
to the default value, not the user-supplied value.

That being said, I think there's room for improvement; for instance,
the error handling should perhaps not belong there. I will look into
it presently.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll take a look when I get some time.

David