Re: [tip:x86/urgent] x86/mce: Fix CMCI preemption bugs

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Apr 18 2014 - 04:07:53 EST

* Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:30:12PM +0200, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> > This is most likely unrelated and is caused by the preemption checks
> > added to __this_cpu_* in 188a81409ff7. If you'd like to debug this
> > further, please send a full dmesg:
> >
> > dmesg > dmesg.log
> >
> > Privately is fine too.
>
> Ok, thanks for the dmesg. Replying to the thread with everybody:
>
> The splat Owen is seeing is the same as this one at the beginning of
> this thread here:
>
> http://lkml.kernel.org/r/8761m7lm3j.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> which has a viable fix. Btw, those two splats happen on HP notebooks.
>
> Ok, good, I think we're all solved. Phew :-)
>
> Thanks to all for their help.

Okay, so AFAICS the fix in x86/urgent isn't wrong functionally, it's
just that the changelog incorrectly claims the raw-spinlock use is a
bug causing a problem here.

Still that raw spinlock is bogus and might be hiding other problems,
so we can keep the x86/urgent change (ea431643d6c3) as-is and I'll get
it to Linus later today ...

Thanks,

Ingo