Re: sched_{set,get}attr() manpage

From: Juri Lelli
Date: Sat May 03 2014 - 06:43:24 EST

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, but I was travelling for work.

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 15:09:37 +0200
Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> structure, the kernel verifies all additional fields are '0' if
> not the syscall will fail with -E2BIG.
>
> sched_attr::sched_policy the desired scheduling policy.
>
> sched_attr::sched_flags additional flags that can influence
> scheduling behaviour. Currently as per Linux kernel 3.14:
>
> SCHED_FLAG_RESET_ON_FORK - resets the scheduling policy
> to: (struct sched_attr){ .sched_policy = SCHED_OTHER, }
> on fork().
>
> is the only supported flag.
>
> sched_attr::sched_nice should only be set for SCHED_OTHER,
> SCHED_BATCH, the desired nice value [-20,19], see sched(7).
>
> sched_attr::sched_priority should only be set for SCHED_FIFO,
> SCHED_RR, the desired static priority [1,99], see sched(7).
>
> sched_attr::sched_runtime in nanoseconds,
> sched_attr::sched_deadline in nanoseconds,
> sched_attr::sched_period in nanoseconds, should only be set for
> SCHED_DEADLINE and are the traditional sporadic task model
> parameters, see sched(7).
>
> The flags argument should be 0.
>
> sched_getattr() queries the scheduling policy currently applied
> to the process identified by pid.
>
> Similar to sched_setattr(), sched_getattr() replaces
> sched_getscheduler(), sched_getparam() and some of
> getpriority().
>
> If pid equals zero, the policy of the calling process will be
> retrieved.
>
> The size argument should reflect the size of struct sched_attr
> as known to userspace. The kernel fills out sched_attr::size to
> the size of its sched_attr structure. If the user provided
> structure is larger, additional fields are not touched. If the
> user provided structure is smaller, but the kernel needs to
> return values outside the provided space, the syscall will fail
> with -E2BIG.
>
> The flags argument should be 0.
>
> The other sched_attr fields are filled out as described in
> sched_setattr().
>
> RETURN VALUE
> On success, sched_setattr() and sched_getattr() return 0. On
> error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately.
>
> ERRORS
> EINVAL The scheduling policy is not one of the recognized policies,
> param is NULL, or param does not make sense for the selected
> policy.
>
> EPERM The calling process does not have appropriate privileges.
>
> ESRCH The process whose ID is pid could not be found.
>
> E2BIG The provided storage for struct sched_attr is either too
> big, see sched_setattr(), or too small, see sched_getattr().
>
> EBUSY SCHED_DEADLINE admission control failure, see sched(7).
>
> NOTES
> While the text above (and in sched_setscheduler(2)) talks about
> processes, in actual fact these system calls are thread specific.
>
> While the SCHED_DEADLINE parameters are in nanoseconds, current
> kernels truncate the lower 10 bits and we get an effective
> microsecond resolution.
>
> > [2] A piece of text describing the SCHED_DEADLINE policy, which I can

I'd tweak the following a bit, just to be sure that users understand
that one thing is the model of tasks behavior and another thing is what
you can set using SCHED_DEADLINE. Then the two things are obviously
closely related, but different settings can be in principle used to
schedule the same task set (with lot of literature about optimal
settings and so on).

> SCHED_DEADLINE: Sporadic task model deadline scheduling
> SCHED_DEADLINE is currently implemented using GEDF (Global
> Earliest Deadline First) with additional CBS (Constant Bandwidth
> Server).
>
> A sporadic task is on that has a sequence of jobs, where each job
> is activated at most once per period [ns]. Each job will have an
> absolute deadline relative to its activation before which it must
> finish its execution, and it shall at no time run longer
> than runtime [ns] after its release.

A sporadic task is one that has a sequence of jobs, where each job is
activated at most once per period. Each job has also a relative
deadline, before which it should finish execution, and a computation
time, that is the time necessary for executing the job without
interruption. The instant of time when a task wakes up, because a new
job has to be executed, is called arrival time (and it is also referred
to as request time or release time). Start time is instead the time at
which a task starts its execution. The absolute deadline is thus
obtained adding the relative deadline to the arrival time. The
following diagram clarifies these terms:

> activation/wakeup absolute deadline
> | release |
> v v v
> -------x--------x--------------x--------x-------
> |<- Runtime -->|
> |<---------- Deadline ->|
> |<---------- Period ----------->|

arrival/wakeup absolute deadline
| start time |
v v v
-------x--------xoooooooooooo-------x--------x-----
|<- comp. ->|
|<---------- rel. deadline ->|
|<---------- period --------------->|

SCHED_DEADLINE allows the user to specify three parameters (see
sched_setattr(2)): Runtime [ns], Deadline [ns] and Period [ns]. Such
parameters has not necessarily to correspond to the aforementioned
terms, while usual practise is to set Runtime to something bigger than
the average computation time (or worst-case execution time for hard
real-time tasks), Deadline to the relative deadline and Period to the
period of the task. With such a setting we would have:

arrival/wakeup absolute deadline
| start time |
v v v
-------x--------xoooooooooooo-------x--------x-----
|<- Runtime ->|
|<---------- Deadline ------>|
|<---------- Period --------------->|

> This gives: runtime <= (rel) deadline <= period.

It is checked that: Runtime <= Deadline <= Period.

> The CBS guarantees non-interference between tasks, by throttling
> tasks that attempt to over-run their specified runtime.

s/runtime/Runtime to be consistent.

> In general the set of all SCHED_DEADLINE tasks is not
> feasible/schedulable within the given constraints. Therefore we
> must do an admittance test on setting/changing SCHED_DEADLINE
> policy/attributes.

To guarantee some degree of timeliness we must do an admission test on
setting/changing SCHED_DEADLINE policy/attributes.

> This admission test calculates that the task set is
> feasible/schedulable, failing this, sched_setattr() will return
> -EBUSY.
>
> For example, it is required (but not necessarily sufficient) for
> the total utilization to be less or equal to the total amount of
> CPUs available, where, since each task can maximally run for
> runtime [us] per period [us], that task's utilization is its
> runtime/period.

CPUs available, where, since each task can maximally run for Runtime
per Period, that task's utilization is its Runtime/Period.

> Because we must be able to calculate admittance SCHED_DEADLINE
> tasks are the highest priority (user controllable) tasks in the
> system, if any SCHED_DEADLINE task is runnable it will preempt
> any FIFO/RR/OTHER/BATCH/IDLE task.
>
> SCHED_DEADLINE tasks will fail fork(2) with -EAGAIN, except when
> the forking task has SCHED_FLAG_RESET_ON_FORK set.
>
> A SCHED_DEADLINE task calling sched_yield() will 'yield' the
> current job and wait for a new period to begin.

Does it look any better?

Thanks,

- Juri