Re: [bisected] pre-3.16 regression on open() scalability

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Fri Jun 20 2014 - 12:30:34 EST

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 11:07:13AM -0500, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
>
> > And the fraction of the small systems that care that much about latency
> > is also quite small.
>
> This also impacts general performance of course not only latency.
>
> > Of course, if you have performance results that show otherwise, please
> > share them.
>
> We are discussing a performance problem right here.

We are engaging in a lot of -speculation- about an -alleged- performance
problem. I have posted a fix to the actual performance problem, but the
guy reporting the original report of that problem has not yet reported
the performance of the fix. Which is fine, as I am getting ready to
post an updated fix, and besides which he might well have higher-priority
tasks requiring his attention. But without that performance information,
we are all just engaging in baseless speculation.

Thanx, Paul