Re: Kernel 3.16.0 USB crash

From: Matt
Date: Wed Aug 13 2014 - 16:24:59 EST

Hi Claudio,

this issue is clearly caused by UAS.

if

zcat /proc/config.gz | grep UAS
# CONFIG_USB_UAS is not set

is de-selected, everything's fine

when this is selected (usb is compiled as a module here)

the system crashes or hardlocks as soon as an USB 3.0 capable drive is
connected.

During bootup the system crashes as soon as the kernel module is loaded.

This happened for me with 3.15.6 and 3.16.0 kernel (and 3.16-rc6).

I've a different chipset but the symptoms are similar:

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset
Family USB xHCI (rev 05)

So the only solution to work with newer kernels right now is to
de-select that option and re-compile the kernel. It doesn't help fix
the problem but at least it mitigates the issues for now (crash).

Regards

Matt