Re: FW: [RFC 0/5] perf tools: Add perf data CTF conversion

From: Jiri Olsa
Date: Wed Aug 20 2014 - 05:29:27 EST

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 01:42:12PM -0400, Alexandre Montplaisir wrote:
> Hi Jiri,
>
> (sorry for breaking the thread, I didn't have the original email, but was
> forwarded it)

np, some other folks to the CC

> I work on the Eclipse viewer (a.k.a. Trace Compass).
>
> > so I've put perf converted CTF stream into the eclipse CTF trace viewer
> and got it displayed with the 'Generic CTF trace' type
> > The other type 'LTTng kernel trace' seems to set some rules for the CTF
> fields/format the trace has to obey. Is this described somewhere?
>
> To identify an LTTng kernel trace, we check if the domain defined in the
> metadata is "kernel" [1]. I don't think we documented this anywhere though,
> we probably should!

ok, easy enough ;-) so I'm guessing this governs the expected
CTF layout for event/stream headers/contexts, right?

Also judging from the trace display, you have hardcoded specific
displays/actions for specific events? That's all connected/specific
under trace type?

> Once we have some views or analysis specific to perf CTF traces, we could
> definitely add a separate trace type for those too.

I guess tracepoints and breakpoints should display something like
the standard kernel trace. As for HW events it's usual to display
profile infomation as the perf report does:
https://perf.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Tutorial#Sampling_with_perf_record

I tried to record/display lttng event perf:cpu:cycles, but got nothing
displayed in eclipse. Looks like this data provides only summary count
of the event for the workload?

thanks,
jirka