Re: fanotify bug on gdb -- hard crash

From: ivo welch
Date: Fri Dec 26 2014 - 18:49:17 EST

hi pavel---I do a complete fresh install on ubuntu 64-bit 14.10 in a
vmware virtual machine. the gcc version is 4.9.1. this way I cannot
have made a mistake. ;-)

the compile is gcc -g -o testfa testfa.c .

the gdb and program must run with root privilege. without it, it will
just abort on the fd test.

then gdb, do "b main", "run", and step through with 'n's. you should
see "calling fanotify_mark: fd=3" and then, on the next 'n', it should
never return from the fanotify_mark. you should not be able to
interrupt. at this point, you have to pull the plug.

(I think I also trigger this sometimes without gdb, but then it is not
intermittent but replicable. I started debugging because of this
issue.)

/iaw
----
Ivo Welch (ivo.welch@xxxxxxxxx)
http://www.ivo-welch.info/
J. Fred Weston Professor of Finance
Anderson School at UCLA, C519
Director, UCLA Anderson Fink Center for Finance and Investments
Free Finance Textbook, http://book.ivo-welch.info/
Editor, Critical Finance Review, http://www.critical-finance-review.org/