Re: [Linux-nvdimm] another pmem variant

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Wed Mar 25 2015 - 13:04:38 EST

Ewww...

> It does do the right thing in kernel space. The userspace utility
> creates the binary table (once) that can be compiled into the platform
> device driver or auto-loaded by an initrd. The problem with a new
> memmap= is that it is too coarse. For example you can't do things
> like specify a pmem range per-NUMA node.

Sure you can as long as you know the layout. memmap= can be specified
multiple times. Again, I see absolutely zero benefit of doing crap
like request_firmware() to convert interface, and I'm also tired of
having this talk about code that will eventually be released and should
be superior (and from all that I can guess so far will actually be far
worse).