Re: linux-next: Tree for Mar 31 (build failures and culprits)

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Tue Mar 31 2015 - 22:18:23 EST

On 03/31/2015 04:07 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 09:16:40AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 12:02:21AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
Hi all,

Changes since 20150330:

The arm64 tree gained a conflict against the arm-soc tree.

The idle tree gained a build failure so I used the version from
next-20150327.

The tip tree gained conflicts against the pm tree.

The akpm tree gained a conflict against the mips tree.

Non-merge commits (relative to Linus' tree): 7277
6623 files changed, 304342 insertions(+), 138111 deletions(-)

Build results:
total: 121 pass: 94 fail: 27
Failed builds:
alpha:allmodconfig
arm:rpc_defconfig
arm64:defconfig
cris:defconfig
cris:etrax-100lx_defconfig
cris:allnoconfig
frv:defconfig
i386:allyesconfig
i386:allmodconfig
ia64:defconfig
m32r:defconfig
m68k:defconfig
m68k:allmodconfig
m68k:sun3_defconfig
m68k:m5272c3_defconfig
m68k:m5307c3_defconfig
m68k:m5249evb_defconfig
m68k:m5407c3_defconfig
m68k:m5475evb_defconfig
mips:allmodconfig
parisc:defconfig
parisc:generic-32bit_defconfig
parisc:a500_defconfig
parisc:generic-64bit_defconfig
x86_64:allyesconfig
xtensa:defconfig
xtensa:allmodconfig

---
alpha:allmodconfig
mips:allmodconfig

samples/kdbus/kdbus-workers.c: In function âprime_newâ:
samples/kdbus/kdbus-workers.c:930:18: error: â__NR_memfd_createâ undeclared
(first use in this function)
p->fd = syscall(__NR_memfd_create, "prime-area", MFD_CLOEXEC);

Looks like the kdbus example never worked for the affected architectures.
I don't build allmodconfig for all architectures, so other architectures
may be affected as well.

You need 3.17 kernel headers to have memfd_create, not much the kdbus
test code can do about that. You might want to update the kernel
headers for these build boxes.

Seems there are brand-new requirements for kernel builds. The toolchain determines
the headers used, not the native kernel (which, FWIW, is 3.19). You might want
to document somewhere that "allmodconfig" and possibly "allyesconfig" now only
builds if the toolchain is based on 3.17+ kernel headers.

I think I'll just drop those allmodconfig builds instead, or find a means to drop
the samples/kdbus builds. Sorry, my time is limited. Building toolchains costs a
lot of time, which I simply don't have. Keep in mind that I am doing all this on
my own spare time. You are putting a lot of burden on people doing test builds.

Guenter