Re: linux-next: Tree for Mar 31 (build failures and culprits)

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Tue Mar 31 2015 - 22:46:23 EST

On 03/31/2015 07:24 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On 03/31/2015 04:42 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
Hi Greg,

On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 01:07:49 +0200 Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 09:16:40AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:

alpha:allmodconfig
mips:allmodconfig

samples/kdbus/kdbus-workers.c: In function âprime_newâ:
samples/kdbus/kdbus-workers.c:930:18: error: â__NR_memfd_createâ undeclared
(first use in this function)
p->fd = syscall(__NR_memfd_create, "prime-area", MFD_CLOEXEC);

Looks like the kdbus example never worked for the affected architectures.
I don't build allmodconfig for all architectures, so other architectures
may be affected as well.

You need 3.17 kernel headers to have memfd_create, not much the kdbus
test code can do about that. You might want to update the kernel
headers for these build boxes.

Or have we not hooked up memfd for alpha and mips?

alpha has no definition for __NR_memfd_create and doesn't use
asm-generic/unistd.h.

mips has a definition for __NR_memfd_create if _MIPS_SIM ==
_MIPS_SIM_ABI32, _MIPS_SIM_ABI64 or _MIPS_SIM_NABI32 (is there any
other alternative?).

Guess you are saying that those examples won't build even with a
newer toolchain. Good that I already decided not to re-build my
toolchains ;-).

Now I am left with the question if the samples build should be
masked for alpha and mips, or if I should drop building samples
from my 'allmodconfig' builds. I think I'll do the latter;
there seems to be an expectation that samples are built with
a recent toolchain, and I can not keep rebuilding toolchains for
the rest of my life.

Weird - the kdbus sample doesn't have its own configuration option,
unlike other samples. So it's all or nothing for alpha and mips.

Guenter