Issues with Radeon DP audio and Dell U2711 monitor

From: Stefan Gödel
Date: Fri May 15 2015 - 13:09:24 EST

Hello,

I run a dual monitor setup as my main workstation with Debian sid (unstable)
on it. My primary monitor is a Dell U2711 and the secondary a Dell 2209WA. The
GPU is a Radeon HD 5450 with 1xDisplayPort, 1x DVI, 1xHDMI.

Two days ago I updated my system and Linux kernel 4.0.2 was installed. When I
rebooted, everything went smooth and I was happy. In the evening I suspended
the system and when I resumed it yesterday morning, the primary monitor (which
is attached to the Display Port) didn't come up. The secondary monitor showed
the right part of my desktop as if the primary monitor was still connected.
After a reboot, everything was OK again but after suspend/resume the Dell
U2711 again stayed dark. I fiddled around with xset but soon realized that the
problem was not limited to X. I disabled kdm and suspended/resumed from the
console with the same result. I also noticed that the power button on the
U2711 switched from "breathing" yellow (idle state) to blue on resume, but
switched back to idle after the usual timeout. Then I looked at the entries in
/sys/class/drm/card0-DP-1/ and realized that the monitor power button switched
to active whenever I did a "# cat /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-1/status" and then
timed out again.

I studied the release notes for 4.0 and stumbled over the new Radeon support
for audio over the DisplayPort. Several mails on LKML and patches for 4.0.2
indicated that there had already been some issues with audio over DP and so I
rebooted with parameter "radeon.audio=0" - and that solved my issue! I can now
suspend/resume without loosing the primary monitor.

Thinking about these experiences I remembered that there is an optional
"soundbar" available for the Dell U2711, which I haven't installed. Maybe the
monitor tells the GPU that it has audio capabilities and then something
stumbles over the absent soundbar. I also found forums where MS-Windows users
complained about similar issues with this monitor. I guess that the Windows
Radeon drivers supported audio over DP from the start?

I don't know if this is a specific problem with the Radeon / Dell U 2711 combo
or if other combinations might trigger this too. I won't recommend a patch to
solve this. It might be possible to include a check for this specific monitor
before enabling audio over DP, but then there will be people with the soundbar
installed, who will complain. My solution with the "radeon.audio=0" kernel
parameter is a bit radical, since it also shuts off the HDMI sound.

My favorite solution would be an additional parameter for selectively turning
off audio over DP (dp-audio=0 ???). This way people with issues like me (but
maybe with other GPU / monitor combos) could revert this functionality to pre
4.0 times.

I hope this might help someone :-)

Cheers,

Stefan

p.s.: I am not subscribed to LKML - so please CC me if you want to respond...