Re: [git pull] vfs part 2

From: Al Viro
Date: Sun Jun 21 2015 - 17:35:50 EST

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 02:16:15PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > + if (count > rsize) {
> > + WARN_ON(1);
> > + count = rsize;
> > + }
>
> So if we'd actually want to merge it with the warning, I'd prefer writing it as
>
> if (WARN_ON_ONCE(count > rsize))
> count = size;
>
> because it's smaller and cannot spam your logs. WARN_ON_ONCE() will
> only _warn_ once, but it always returns the conditional for the
> warning, so the above does the right thing.

Sure, but I would really like to verify that this _is_ what's going on
there. This is just a "please try that on your reproducer to make sure
that it's not something entirely different", thus the lack of S-o-b,
etc. For the final variant (and we definitely should cope with BS from
server) we probably want to use p9_debug() instead of WARN_ON/WARN_ON_ONCE.