Re: [!GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.2

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Thu Jul 02 2015 - 20:40:17 EST

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 9:33 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> What's a good distro on which to poke at a full running system?
>
> Fedora Rawhide is probably currently your best bet.

I won't swear that all of the problems I'm seeing are 100% kdbus'
fault, but Rawhide, updated today, has serious problems with the kdbus
branch in Greg's char-misc tree.

Problem 1: Booting a kdbus-enabled kernel (CONFIG_KDBUS=y) causes gdm
to bail saying "oops, something went wrong" or whatever the useless
standard error message is.

I can work around problem 1 by booting with kdbus=1, but that's not
okay. Unless this is limited to just some narrow range of Rawhide
versions, I don't think the kernel gets to make changes that break
userspace like that. Maybe this is a kernel issue, not a user issue,
in which case it's not a big deal as long as it gets fixed.

Problem 2: Running 'sudo mount /mnt/share' from a terminal hangs the
whole graphical session hard. This is repeatable. /mnt/share is
virtfs, but I doubt that matters.

If I build exactly the same sources but set CONFIG_KDBUS=n, all is well.

I suspect that there are multiple issues here:

1. The current state of systemd's --disable-kdbus could be buggy.
kdbusfs still gets mounted but isn't set up and then things break.

2. mount generates a bunch of dbus traffic. Apparently on the latest
char-misc kdbus tree with the latest Rawhide, it blows up somehow.

That's all from me until next week.

--Andy