Re: Using firmware interface to write configuration blob to MMR space

From: Murali Karicheri
Date: Tue Aug 25 2015 - 16:12:42 EST

On 08/25/2015 02:52 PM, Murali Karicheri wrote:
All,

One of our SoC integrates a hardware block from a hardware vendor. The
vendor has provided a configuration blob that is used to customize the
hardware block for a specific application. This configuration blob is to
be written to the MMR space to customize the hardware. The vendor is not
willing to provide details of the registers. So I am wondering if I
could use the firmware API (request_firmware) to copy the blob to the
kernel space so that driver could write these values to the MMR space.
Is this an acceptable way of using the firmware interface? My research
so far doesn't see the interface used this way and looking for your
expert opinion.

--
Murali Karicheri
Linux Kernel, Keystone