Re: [RFC v2 07/18] kthread: Allow to cancel kthread work

From: Petr Mladek
Date: Fri Sep 25 2015 - 07:26:26 EST

On Tue 2015-09-22 15:35:13, Tejun Heo wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 03:03:48PM +0200, Petr Mladek wrote:
> > /**
> > + * try_to_grab_pending_kthread_work - steal kthread work item from worklist,
> > + * and disable irq
> > + * @work: work item to steal
> > + * @is_dwork: @work is a delayed_work
> > + * @flags: place to store irq state
> > + *
> > + * Try to grab PENDING bit of @work. This function can handle @work in any
> > + * stable state - idle, on timer or on worklist.
> > + *
> > + * Return:
> > + * 1 if @work was pending and we successfully stole PENDING
> > + * 0 if @work was idle and we claimed PENDING
> > + * -EAGAIN if PENDING couldn't be grabbed at the moment, safe to busy-retry
> > + * -ENOENT if someone else is canceling @work, this state may persist
> > + * for arbitrarily long
> > + *
> > + * Note:
> > + * On >= 0 return, the caller owns @work's PENDING bit. To avoid getting
> > + * interrupted while holding PENDING and @work off queue, irq must be
> > + * disabled on return. This, combined with delayed_work->timer being
> > + * irqsafe, ensures that we return -EAGAIN for finite short period of time.
> > + *
> > + * On successful return, >= 0, irq is disabled and the caller is
> > + * responsible for releasing it using local_irq_restore(*@flags).
> > + *
> > + * This function is safe to call from any context including IRQ handler.
> > + */
>
> Ugh... I think this is way too much for kthread_worker. Workqueue is
> as complex as it is partly for historical reasons and partly because
> it's used so widely and heavily. kthread_worker is always guaranteed
> to have a single worker and in most cases maybe several work items.
> There's no reason to bring this level of complexity onto it.
> Providing simliar semantics is fine but it should be possible to do
> this in a lot simpler way if the requirements on space and concurrency
> is this much lower.
>
> e.g. always embed timer_list in a work item and use per-worker
> spinlock to synchronize access to both the work item and timer and use
> per-work-item mutex to synchronize multiple cancelers. Let's please
> keep it simple.

I thought about it a lot and I do not see a way how to make it easier
using the locks.

I guess that you are primary interested into the two rather
complicated things:

1) PENDING state plus -EAGAIN/busy loop cycle

IMHO, we want to use the timer because it is an elegant solution.
Then we must release the lock when the timer is running. The lock
must be taken by the timer->function(). And there is a small window
when the timer is not longer pending but timer->function is not running:

CPU0 CPU1

run_timer_softirq()
__run_timers()
detach_expired_timer()
detach_timer()
#clear_pending

try_to_grab_pending_kthread_work()
del_timer()
# fails because not pending

test_and_set_bit(KTHREAD_WORK_PENDING_BIT)
# fails because already set

if (!list_empty(&work->node))
# fails because still not queued

!!! problematic window !!!

call_timer_fn()
queue_kthraed_work()

2) CANCEL state plus custom waitqueue

cancel_kthread_work_sync() has to wait for the running work. It might take
quite some time. Therefore we could not block others by a spinlock.
Also others could not wait for the spin lock in a busy wait.

IMHO, the proposed and rather complex solutions are needed in both cases.

Or did I miss a possible trick, please?

Best Regards,
Petr