Re: [GIT PULL] aio: a couple of fixes for 4.4

From: Benjamin LaHaise
Date: Sat Jan 09 2016 - 18:00:50 EST

On Sat, Jan 09, 2016 at 02:43:44PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Please consider pulling the following changes to fix a couple of issues
> > reported by Dmitry from git://git.kvack.org/~bcrl/aio-fixes.git .
>
> No. This is much too late for this kind of hackery. That second patch
> in particular is both subtle and ugly, and is messing with lockdep.

I wasn't particularly fond of how Jan implemented that. Any ideas on a
better way to avoid lockdep complaining about this? My initial feedback
to Jan was exactly that this should be handled within the file_start_write()
and file_end_write() APIs -- AIO really shouldn't need to be mucking in what
ought to be hidden behind that API.

> No way will I take something like this the last fay before a release.
>
> It's not even a regression, nor did you send me anything at all for
> this release. Trying to sneak something in just before 4.4 is not ok.

Okay, no worries.

-ben

--
"Thought is the essence of where you are now."