Re: Question about create mode, checkpatch, and MAINTAINERS

From: Joe Perches
Date: Wed Jan 27 2016 - 13:03:19 EST

On Wed, 2016-01-27 at 10:52 -0700, Jeff Merkey wrote:
> So while putting together a patch series that adds some include files
> in the arch/ I ran across the checkpatch WARNING that says MAINTAINERS
> needs updating for new files with create mode.
> Is the best way to do this to submit MAINTAINERS as a separate patch
> or in its own patch with the series, or can I just send the patch
> series to the current MAINTAINERS of those arches and skip this add
> maintainers and ignore the checkpatch WARNING for this.

You can ignore it.

The checkpatch message is just a prompt.  It asks
"does MAINTAINERS need updating"?  The checkpatch message
is just asking
to consider whether or not MAINTAINERS
needs updating.  MAINTAINERS may
not need updating at all.

> From what I have seen, its not a good idea to ignore anything
> checkpatch reports.

It's always better to ignore mechanized messages from
brainless scripts when you know what you're doing.