Re: [RFC/PATCH 1/1] format-patch: add an option to record base tree info

From: Michael J Gruber
Date: Wed Feb 24 2016 - 05:31:42 EST

Stefan Beller venit, vidit, dixit 23.02.2016 23:21:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:46 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Oh, don't worry, I wasn't talking about value this may have to the
>>> Git project at all. "The value to the project" I mentioned in my
>>> response was all about the value to the kernel project.

>>> I'll snip your bullet points, but as I wrote, I do understand the
>>> value of prescreening test.
>>>
>>> What I was questioning was what value it gives to that testing to
>>> use "the developer based this patch on this exact commit" added to
>>> each incoming patch, and have Fengguag's testing machinery test a
>>> patch with a base version that may no longer be relevant in the
>>> context of the project. Compared to that, wouldn't "this no longer
>>> applies to the branch the series targets" or "this still applies
>>> cleanly, but no longer compiles because the surrounding API has
>>> changed" be much more valuable?
>>>
>>> In your other message, you mentioned the "index $old..$new" lines,
>>> and it is possible to use them to find a tree that the patch cleanly
>>> applies to, but it will not uniquely identify _the_ version the
>>> patch submitter used. IMHO, finding such _a_ tree from the recent
>>> history of the branch that the patch targets and testing the patch
>>> on top of that tree (as opposed to testing the patch in the exact
>>> context the developer worked on) would give the project a better
>>> value.
>>
>> Personally, as a maintainer, I would love to see the tree ID and ideally also the commit ID a series is based on. The commit ID is in some ways less useful since it is non-recreatable (and therefore will never match for anything but the first patch of a series), but could be useful to the maintainer.
>
> As a contributor a commit id would also add value I would think. When
> it is unclear
> where a series is headed, contributors in Git land say things like:
>
> This applies cleanly on origin/master.
>
> And usually this is the master branch from yesterday as Junio pushes
> once a day. origin/master being a moving target, so it may not apply any more,
> so a commit sha1 would help for finding out what to do in the maintainer role.
>
> This discussion sounds to me as if we'd want to have some advantages of
> the (kernel pull style, not github style) pull-request here for patch
> submissions.
>
> I don't remember the exact quote, but Linus said once upon a time about the
> pull request workflow roughly:
>
> "Please pull from ... And by the way I tested this software for 2
> month during development"
> (For kernels that makes sense as the contributor run the kernel
> and it worked)
>
> as pull requests have the new patches on top of the exact parents the
> contributor put them
> on, there can be more faith in the process to divide between the
> problems the contributor
> overlooked/introduced and problems as introduced by the merge of the maintainer.

> [...]

Thanks for mentioning pull-requests. In fact: Is there any problem (in
the OP's use case) that would not be solved by pull-requests?

In other words: Are we talking "pull-request by format-patch"?

[Still trying to figure out what problem to solve exactly, and how
generic that is.]

Michael