Re: [RFC v5 0/3] mm: make swapin readahead to gain more thp performance

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Fri Feb 26 2016 - 09:52:18 EST

On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 22:17 -0800, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2016, Ebru Akagunduz wrote:
> > in Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 05:35:50PM -0500, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > > Am I forgetting anything obvious?
> > > Is this too aggressive?
> > > Not aggressive enough?
> > > Could PGPGOUT + PGSWPOUT be a useful
> > > in-between between just PGSWPOUT or
> > > PGSTEAL_*?
>
> I've no idea offhand, would have to study what each of those
> actually means: I'm really not familiar with them myself.

There are a few levels of page reclaim activity:

PGSTEAL_* - any page was reclaimed, this could just
      be file pages for streaming file IO,etc

PGPGOUT Â - the VM wrote pages back to disk to reclaim
      them, this could include file pages

PGSWPOUT Â- the VM wrote something to swap to reclaim
      memory

I am not sure which level of aggressiveness khugepaged
should check against, but my gut instinct would probably
be the second or third.

--
All Rights Reversed.