Re: Documentation/memory-barriers.txt: How can READ_ONCE() and WRITE_ONCE() provide cache coherence?

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Fri Feb 26 2016 - 16:31:41 EST

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:14:21AM +0300, Sergey Fedorov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just can't understand how this kind of compiler barrier macros may
> provide any form of cache coherence. Sure, such kind of compiler
> barrier is necessary to "reliably" access a variable from multiple
> CPUs. But why it is stated that these macros *provide* cache
> coherence?

Without READ_ONCE(), common sub-expression elimination optimizations
can cause later reads of a given variable to see older value than
previous reads did. For a (silly) example:

a = complicated_pure_function(x);
b = x;
c = complicated_pure_function(x);

The compiler is within its rights to transform this into the following:

a = complicated_pure_function(x);
b = x;
c = a(x);

In this case, the assignment to b might see a newer value of x than did
the later assignment to c. This violates cache coherence, which states
that all reads from a given variable must agree on the order of values
taken on by that variable.

Using READ_ONCE() prevents this violation of cache coherence, albeit
at the price of evaluating complicated_pure_function() twice rather
than once:

a = complicated_pure_function(READ_ONCE(x));
b = READ_ONCE(x);
c = complicated_pure_function(READ_ONCE(x));

Similar examples exist for WRITE_ONCE().

You -want- the compiler to violate cache coherence for normal accesses
to unshared variables, so you have to tell it when cache coherence is
important.

Thanx, Paul