Re: [RFC v0 7/8] Input: ims-pcu: use firmware_stat instead of completion

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Wed Aug 03 2016 - 12:07:51 EST

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 12:42:14AM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 12:41 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> So you argue for the remoteproc use case with 100+ MB firmware that
> >> if there is a way to load after pivot_root() (or other additional
> >> firmware partition shows up) then there is no need at all for
> >> usermode helper?
> >
> > No, I'm saying I'd like to hear valid uses cases for the usermode helper and so
> > far I have only found using coccinelle grammar 2 explicit users, that's it. My
> > patch series (not yet merge) then annotates these as valid as I've verified
> > through their documentation they have some quirky requirement.
>
> In certain configurations (embedded) people do not want to use
> initramfs nor modules nor embed firmware into the kernel. In this case
> usermode helper + firmware calss timeout handling provides necessary
> wait for the root filesystem to be mounted.
>
> If we solve waiting for rootfs (or something else that may contain
> firmware) then these cases will not need to use usermode helper.

Given most distributions already disable FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER_FALLBACK and
grammar shows we only have 2 explicit users of the usermode helper I'd
prefer if we indeed could just compartamentalize the usermode helper
and not rely on it further. Furthermore I think its possible address
this issue, and suggested at least one idea how for now. With a bit
further review I'm in hope we can address this well, not only
for the firmware API but for all other kernel_read_file*() users.

Luis