[PATCH v7 0/6] x86/arch_prctl Add ARCH_[GET|SET]_CPUID for controlling the CPUID instruction
From: Kyle Huey
Date: Tue Oct 18 2016 - 22:04:02 EST
rr (http://rr-project.org/), a userspace record-and-replay reverse-
execution debugger, would like to trap and emulate the CPUID instruction.
This would allow us to a) mask away certain hardware features that rr does
not support (e.g. RDRAND) and b) enable trace portability across machines
by providing constant results.
Newer Intel CPUs (Ivy Bridge and later) can fault when CPUID is executed at
CPL > 0. Expose this capability to userspace as a new pair of arch_prctls,
ARCH_GET_CPUID and ARCH_SET_CPUID, with two values, ARCH_CPUID_ENABLE and
v6 did not get any feedback, so I included the changes since v5.
- Rebased to 4.9-rc1 (primarily over the new VDSO arch_prctls and the new pkey
entries in the syscall table)
- do_arch_prctl is again do_arch_prctl_common
- Added static qualifiers on get/set_cpuid_mode
- Braced ifs in disable/enable_cpuid
- Renamed arch_post_exec to arch_setup_new_exec