The downside of math::

From: Jonathan Corbet
Date: Wed Oct 19 2016 - 19:03:00 EST

Hey, Mauro,

So I was a little surprised to find that the htmldocs build now breaks on
one of my machines due to a lack of LaTeX. A bit of digging turned up
the culprit: commit b7ff94df5628 (pixfmt-007.rst: use Sphinx math::
expressions). The math:: directive uses LaTeX to process the math markup.

What this means is that said commit has made LaTeX a dependency for the
htmldocs build. I'm not convinced that this is a good idea; that's a
massive dependency to add for web builds that, ostensibly, should not
need it. Certainly we shouldn't add it without discussion...:)

So I'll ask: how important to you is the math extension, and is there any
way we could get you your fancy math in a way that doesn't force
everybody to install the whole LaTeX package set?

Thanks,

jon